Re: [Debconf-team] [Debian-portland-soc] [DC14] Portland team: historical cost comparison

On 03/18/2013 05:49 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 03:45:07PM -0700, Allison Randal wrote:
>
> Probably not - we can mine the data from past conferences to get a better
> model for what percentage of attendees will be eating the cafeteria food at
> any given time.  (We'll want this anyway for purposes of giving estimated
> headcounts to the cafeteria staff.)

Good idea.

>> Do we need to include lodging rooms in the total base price? That
>> is, are we paying any fixed up-front amount for lodging, or is lodging
>> paid by attendees as they register (or once we decide if it's possible
>> to sponsor travel/lodging)?
>
> I don't know that there's any fixed up-front price, but sponsored attendance
> at DebConf includes both food and accomodation.  So for the big picture of
> "how much money does DebConf spend", this is very relevant.

I'll start a tab for projecting sponsored attendance. At the moment, I'm
assuming we'd start at 0 sponsored attendees, and expand as incoming
sponsorship increased beyond costs. Do people have a sense of an "ideal"
number of sponsored attendees? As in "If funding is available, ideally
we'd like to sponsor X number or Y percentage of attendees."

And, I'll start with:

- Accommodation: $28/person/day
- Food: $20/person/day
- Flight: $1000/person

Aiming for an approximate average on flight price, figuring US/Canada
flights could be as low as $300, while international flights could be
$2000 or higher. (Numbers from past years will be helpful in these
projections too.)

Allison