Re: [Debconf-team] [DC14] Portland team: historical cost comparison

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 01:41:50PM -0700, Allison Randal wrote:
> I've run a more detailed cost comparison for the Portland bid,
> projecting for 200 attendees and 350 attendees separately, so it's
> easier to see the base costs, and also incorporating some changes from
> the discussion feedback. See the attached ODS file. (The cost per
> attendee seems radically lower than previous years, but these are base
> costs, and don't include incidentals like printing signs/badges and
> t-shirts, video equipment shipping, or optional costs like travel
> sponsorships.)

Thanks, Allison!

FWIW, looking this over I realize there was a mistake in the bid page: the
$66/night listed for The Broadway was per-room, not per-person.  I've fixed
this now in the wiki page.

I'm not sure how the totals are arrived on the Comparison page; the numbers
look low to me even without including the venue and other non-per-person
costs.  Can you elaborate on the math here?

For 200 people @ $20/day for food, $16,000 comes out to 4 days.  But that
covers only the days talks are running, and we probably need to figure one
additional day of food to cover the arrival/departure days, as well as
breakfast on the day trip day and some costs (TBD) for food on the day trip.

The room total I can't reverse-engineer at all.  $9840/$28 -> 351.43
person-nights.  While not everyone who attends DebConf has sponsored
accomodation costs, 351.43 person-nights @ 6 nights -> 58.57 people.  So I'm
not sure what's going on there.  :-)

And for consistency with https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/PriceComparison, the
"total spent" should at least include the known venue costs.