Re: [Debconf-team] [Debian-portland-soc] [DC14] Portland team: historical cost comparison

On 03/19/2013 09:29 AM, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Allison Randal dijo [Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 06:24:11PM -0700]:
>>
>> Aiming for an approximate average on flight price, figuring US/Canada
>> flights could be as low as $300, while international flights could be
>> $2000 or higher. (Numbers from past years will be helpful in these
>> projections too.)
>
> I expected flight prices to be quite lower. Still, for DebConf10 (I
> expect numbers to be closest to what we had at New York), 88 out of
> 306 attendees (marked as reconfirmed and arrived) were from within the
> USA (and the second most popular country was "not selected" ;-) ). I
> was surprised to see that, for July, ticket prices from Paris and
> Frankfurt are at ~US$1500, quite higher than what I expected.
>
> This following query does *not* mean the requested travel sponsorship
> was fulfilled, but requested, and that the person attended, and was
> labeled as "the amount needed for you to travel" (need_travel_cost):
>
>  acronym |          avg
> ---------+-----------------------
>  dc7     |  574.9236000000000000
>  dc8     | 1070.1224489795918367
>  dc9     |  435.2346428571428571
>  dc10    |  819.6127500000000000
>  dc11    |  612.6257142857142857
>  dc12    |  981.0483870967741935

Ah, excellent! I'll go with $800 for approximate average flight
sponsorship cost, since New York is geographically closest. It's
possible that we'd get more local applications that lower the average,
or more international applications that raise the average, but it's a
good first approximation.

So, that comes to a sponsorship total of $1,136 per person for
accommodation, food, and travel. Or, approximately every $1,000 of
incoming sponsorship above costs would mean we could sponsor one
additional attendee.

Allison