Re: [Debconf-team] [Debian-portland-soc] [DC14] Portland team: historical cost comparison

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 09:47:59AM -0700, Allison Randal wrote:
> On 03/19/2013 09:13 AM, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> > Right. and for this, I would look at similar cities - e.g. I expect
> > the Portland food offer (and university cafeteria quality) to be much
> > closer to New York or Edinburgh more than to most of our other past
> > venues.

> Portland is generally cheaper for the same quality food than New York:

> http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&city1=New+York%2C+NY&country2=United+States&city2=Portland%2C+OR

> So, overall, we can anticipate the food bid for Portland will be about
> 1/3 lower than New York.

Right - the price should be lower, but in terms of availability of outside
food (and therefore the frequency with which people choose to eat outside
the conference), New York and Edinburgh are probably good models for what
we'll find.  Banja Luka may as well, since the conference was fairly central
in the city with a number of restaurants around.