Re: cdrtools cdrecord/cdrecord.c

Geoffrey <esoteric@3times25.net> wrote:

> > I am not against Linux, I am however against stupidity and evilness.
>
> But your comments regarding Linux kernel developers would appear to
> indicate that you are against Linux.  Personal opinion, nothing more.

This is not true!

I am not against Linux, however I don't like the way the Linux kernel developers
personally attack people who tell them where they make mistakes.

Let me make an example: if you take Linus Torvalds statements on Linux kernel
include files for serious, then it is _forbidden_ to test kernel interfaces.

Also it is a matter of facts that the Linux kernel people constantly insert new
snares against CD/DVD recording.

Once the Linux kernel folks start cooperating

> > If I see problems I name them and I do it in a direct way that just describes
> > the problem. This is independent from the OS. If you don't see when I am
> > atracking Solaris then you obviously close your eyes depending on where to look.
>
> Not at all, I have taken a look at Open Solaris, it apparently is not
> Solaris.  Linux works mighty fine for me, thus I can't justify the cost
> for a real copy of Solaris or the required hardware.

This looks uninformed and I am not sure whether I should belive that you know
what OpenSolaris is.

Solaris is free!

> I really don't see a resistance to accepting bug reports.  Differences

Maybe the problem is that Debian accepts bug reports for things that are not
broken (at least not inside cdrecord).

> in what one perceives to be a bug are a different issue.  For example, I
> can see why Debian folks would add contact information to cdrecord if
> they have made modifications to it.  I can also see why Debian would
> remove references to cdrecord-Prodvd, although I don't necessarily agree
> with those objections.  Neither is truly a bug, but a preference.

Again:

-	Linux kernel folks modify interfaces without notifying the users
	even though there are less than 5 Authors who write software that
	uses the related interfaces.

-	Most Debian patches _cause_ problems instead of fixing them.

-	Debian people do not cooperate by not talking to the Authors of the
	software.

> I'm primarily a SuSE user...

Suse agreed some time ago to publish the version of cdrecord that is
similarily broken as the Debian one under a different name and to publish a
mainly unmodified version under the name cdrecord.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)