Re: cdrtools cdrecord/cdrecord.c

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 01:40:55PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>
>> The full set of Debian patches against cdrecord are:
>>
>> 02_cdrecord_default_conf.dpatch:
>>     Set up reasonable default values in the cdrecord config
>
>It is unreasonable to deviate from a standard OS independen default.
>---> rejected
>
>> 06_dautipps.dpatch:
>>     Little patch to extend error information
>
>This patch causes incorrect output
>---> rejected

What, you're claiming extra output that may help a user diagnose a
problem "incorrect"?

>> 07_noadvertising.dpatch:
>>     Remove advertising for cdrecord-ProDVD.
>
>Replaces generally useful infomation by Debian advertising
>---> rejected

"generally useful infomation" being advertising for a non-free
product. Yeah, whatever.

<snip>

>> 21_makefile_fix_for_kernel.dpatch:
>>     Fix problems with kernel include doing wrong things.
>
>Unneded at all at least if the Linux kernel include files are non-buggy.
>In addition, the autoconf utility already tests for known Linux kernel bugs.
>---> rejected

All this patch removes is /usr/src/linux/include from the include
search path. That's a standard thing to do - there's no guarantee at
all that /usr/src/linux/include contains include files that match the
current kernel. This is standard advice.

<snip>

>> 23_o_excl.dpatch:
>>     Open devices with O_EXCL to stop other programs from interrupting
>>     writes
>
>general rule: Fix the other programs that are broken
>---> rejected

If cdrecord needs exclusive access to a device, then it's up to
cdrecord to ask for that exclusive access. That's a simple enough
rule...

<snip>

>> 35_ultra_speed_media.dpatch:
>>     Simple bug fix for ultra high speed RW media detection
>
>This problem has been fixed in cdrecord more than a month before Debian
>---> rejected

In which release version, precisely? That patch was a backport of your
fix to the previous cdrecord release, as forwarded to the Debian BTS
by a user; it'll be dropped when we move forward to your latest
release...

>So you see: not a single patch is senseful.

By your reckoning, clearly everybody else is _always_ wrong. That
might explain why you get so few people attempting to help you develop
cdrtools...

"C++ ate my sanity" -- Jon Rabone