Re: cdrtools cdrecord/cdrecord.c

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 12:00:59AM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Maybe the problem is that Debian accepts bug reports for things that are not
> broken (at least not inside cdrecord).

Debian is not a monolithic entity.  It's a large group of individual
developers, each of whom works in complete isolation, and has almost
total authority over his or her assigned packages.

Getting a Debian developer to accept a patch (or bug, or whatever) can
be easy or it can be impossible.  It depends on the developer.

This can be rather frustrating, if the package you're dealing with happens
to have one of the obtuse developers.  (I can name one such package and
developer, but it's off topic here, as it's not related to CD writing.)

Now, clearly Steve and Joerg aren't seeing eye to eye on some issues.  I
don't know enough about the issues in question to know which one of them
is right.  As an end user, I have choices -- I can use the Debian version
of a program, or I can use the upstream author's version.  Most of the time,
the Debian version of a package works fine.  In a few cases, the upstream
version works better.

So, end users like me should just try both versions and use whichever one
works better.  Continuing to flame Joerg or Steve is not productive.