Re: cdrtools cdrecord/cdrecord.c

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:

> The full set of Debian patches against cdrecord are:
>
> 02_cdrecord_default_conf.dpatch:
>     Set up reasonable default values in the cdrecord config

It is unreasonable to deviate from a standard OS independen default.
---> rejected

> 06_dautipps.dpatch:
>     Little patch to extend error information

This patch causes incorrect output
---> rejected

> 07_noadvertising.dpatch:
>     Remove advertising for cdrecord-ProDVD.

Replaces generally useful infomation by Debian advertising
---> rejected

> 16_debian_email.dpatch:
>     Define our contact address for program info

Only needed because Debian publishes a bastadrized version.

> 17_argv0_beautify.dpatch:
>     Remove the Debian specific suffix from the executable filename

A patch caused by the fact that Debian is missing fundamental knowledge on
version incompatibility and is uneducatable!

You cannot expect a cdrecord compiled on Linux version N to run on Linux
version N - X

> 18_donotopen_hda.dpatch:
>     dev=ATA:1,0,0 uselessly opens /dev/hda, breaking non-root
>     access. See #228215

Trying to patch a problem caused by incorrecty usage (the man page clearly
states which provilleges you need to run cdrecord).
---> rejected

> 21_makefile_fix_for_kernel.dpatch:
>     Fix problems with kernel include doing wrong things.

Unneded at all at least if the Linux kernel include files are non-buggy.
In addition, the autoconf utility already tests for known Linux kernel bugs.
---> rejected

> 22_linux_rawio_capability.dpatch:
>     Add linux specific rawio capability allocation to work with
>     kernels > 2.6.8

Needed only because fine grained privileges are not yet ready for general
use. It is a general rule to wait until a newe feature has grown up from
the experimental state.
---> rejected

> 23_o_excl.dpatch:
>     Open devices with O_EXCL to stop other programs from interrupting
>     writes

general rule: Fix the other programs that are broken
---> rejected

> 27_scsi_buffer_size.dpatch:
>     If we can't get a buffer as big as we would like, shrink the
>     desired size until it works. Bug #330371

This is only a workaround for a bug introduced into the Linux kernel by Jens
Axboe (better fix the kernel).
---> rejected

> 35_ultra_speed_media.dpatch:
>     Simple bug fix for ultra high speed RW media detection

This problem has been fixed in cdrecord more than a month before Debian
---> rejected

So you see: not a single patch is senseful.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)