Re: Some annoying problems with ATi Radeon 7200!

On Son, 2002-11-10 at 00:39, Manuel Bilderbeek wrote:
> Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
> >>- Tux's right arm is still a bit white and so is the bottom of his feet
> >>- Lots of these messages on the screen: radeonUploadTexImages: ran into
> >>bound texture
> >
> > Hmm, I don't see that, maybe you're still low on texture memory?
>
> How can I tell?

grep 'for textures' /var/log/XFree86.0.log

> What can I do about it?

Use a lower virtual resolution or depth, or buy a card with more RAM. ;)

> >>Well, the problem is 100% reproducible! I just didn't try to reproduce
> >>the solution, since SWcursor made things worse afterall (after
> >>rebooting, at least.)
> >
> > If SWcursor helps once but then again not, I don't call that 100%
> > reproducible.
>
> I guess for X rebooting doesn't differ from logging out and pressing
> CTRL ALT BS?

It can make a difference in theory but shouldn't normally.

> If there *is* a difference, that may explain it. I can try to do this of
> course, but logging out and restarting X is a bit of an annoying
> business (since I have to look at a black screen for 10 seconds each
> time...) I will do it of course, if you think it's worthwile.

What would you want to achieve with that? :)

> >>Thanks a lot! I hope the final version will be released soon, in one
> >>of the packages.
> >
> > Yes, hopefully someone picks it up, maybe you? :)
>
> What do you mean with 'picks it up'?

Finishes it and pushes for its inclusion.

> Anyway, I hope these improved drivers will go mainstream soon, since
> they contain a lot less bugs than the current ones that *are* in the
> mainstream...

They will be in 4.3.0, at least more or less.

> On Windows machines people like to update their drivers really often. I
> like the same for my Linux system.

Just keep using my packages. :)

> And the docs help me to tweak them...

There's one big advantage over Windows: if the docs are missing or
outdated, the source is available.