Re: Some annoying problems with ATi Radeon 7200!

On Sam, 2002-11-09 at 18:23, Manuel Bilderbeek wrote:

> >>Most debug messages are gone now (e.g. when dragging the
> >>glxgears window), but the problems with Tuxracer remain.
> >
> > What problems exactly? Note that it is slow in depth 24, and it shows
> > some incorrect rendering unless RADEON_TCL_FORCE_DISABLE=1 is set.
>
> This doesn't really make a difference. The problems are:
> - Every about 0.4 seconds, the speed goes down dramatically for a short
> while (0.2 sec?), after which it continues normally. The first few
> seconds work normally though (I tried the Bunny Hill level) and also at
> the end things get slightly better.

Do you have any other X clients running that draw something at about
those intervals? Or any other programs doing something, for that matter?

> - Tux's right arm is still a bit white and so is the bottom of his feet
> - Lots of these messages on the screen: radeonUploadTexImages: ran into
> bound texture

Hmm, I don't see that, maybe you're still low on texture memory?

> I tried setting the other variable you mentioned: RADEON_NO_VTXFMT=1
> solves the problem of the white arm and feet of Tux, but the game speed
> is even jerkier than without it.

Yes, vtxfmt is a performance optimization.

It might be worth reporting these problems to the dri-devel list.

> >>Definately. It seems to be a driver problem though, not a cable problem,
> >>since I once had it working... (That was, adding the option, logging
> >>out, restarting X with CTRL ALT BS and then logging in again...)
> >
> > Not so sure, I'd expect a driver problem to be 100% reproducible.
>
> Well, the problem is 100% reproducible! I just didn't try to reproduce
> the solution, since SWcursor made things worse afterall (after
> rebooting, at least.)

If SWcursor helps once but then again not, I don't call that 100%
reproducible.

> >>I can't seem to decode his attachment... Please e-mail that draft to
> >>me, if you have it... Thanks in advance.
>
> > Attached.
>
> Thanks a lot! I hope the final version will be released soon, in one
> of the packages.

Yes, hopefully someone picks it up, maybe you? :)