Re: Some annoying problems with ATi Radeon 7200!

Michel Dänzer wrote:
On Sam, 2002-11-09 at 18:23, Manuel Bilderbeek wrote:
What problems exactly? Note that it is slow in depth 24, and it shows
some incorrect rendering unless RADEON_TCL_FORCE_DISABLE=1 is set.

This doesn't really make a difference. The problems are:
- Every about 0.4 seconds, the speed goes down dramatically for a short while (0.2 sec?), after which it continues normally. The first few seconds work normally though (I tried the Bunny Hill level) and also at the end things get slightly better.

Do you have any other X clients running that draw something at about
those intervals? Or any other programs doing something, for that matter?

No, nothing really. And besides, it worked before I installed your new drivers and it doesn't really occur at the beginning of a level.

- Tux's right arm is still a bit white and so is the bottom of his feet
- Lots of these messages on the screen: radeonUploadTexImages: ran into bound texture
Hmm, I don't see that, maybe you're still low on texture memory?

How can I tell? What can I do about it?

Definately. It seems to be a driver problem though, not a cable problem,
since I once had it working... (That was, adding the option, logging
out, restarting X with CTRL ALT BS and then logging in again...)

Not so sure, I'd expect a driver problem to be 100% reproducible.

Well, the problem is 100% reproducible! I just didn't try to reproduce the solution, since SWcursor made things worse afterall (after rebooting, at least.)

If SWcursor helps once but then again not, I don't call that 100%
reproducible.

I guess for X rebooting doesn't differ from logging out and pressing CTRL ALT BS? If there *is* a difference, that may explain it. I can try to do this of course, but logging out and restarting X is a bit of an annoying business (since I have to look at a black screen for 10 seconds each time...) I will do it of course, if you think it's worthwile.

Thanks a lot! I hope the final version will be released soon, in one
of the packages.

Yes, hopefully someone picks it up, maybe you? :)

What do you mean with 'picks it up'?
Anyway, I hope these improved drivers will go mainstream soon, since they contain a lot less bugs than the current ones that *are* in the mainstream... Then the docs should be included, of course. :-) On Windows machines people like to update their drivers really often. I like the same for my Linux system. And the docs help me to tweak them...

--
Grtjs, Manuel

PS: MSX FOR EVER! (Questions? http://faq.msxnet.org/ )
PPS: Visit my homepage at http://manuel.msxnet.org/