X4 and S3 ViRGE/MX problems

Dear Kevin and XFree86 developers,

I'm running Debian unstable on a Toshiba 490CDT, with kernel 2.4.1, and X
v4.0.2 (Debian package 4.0.2-1pre2v2). The video card is an S3 ViRGE/MX
(/proc/pci reports Bus 1, device 3, function 0: VGA compatible controller:
S3 Inc. ViRGE/MX (rev 6). IRQ 11. Master Capable. No bursts. Min Gnt=4.Max
Lat=255. Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf8000000 [0xfbffffff].

The system runs perfectly fine using the vesa driver (log here ), but when I
try to use the proper s3virge, the computer completely freezes up, not even
responding to kernel magic SysRq keys.

I've brought the matter up with Branden Robinson, the Debian maintainer
for X, but we were unable to resolve the problem.  See
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=78406&repeatmerged=yes

I tried a number of different things, removing xfs from the font path,
moving libddc.a, using Kevin Brosius' test module, but kept
getting the same results. Interestingly, Xv4 did work on my computer for the
first couple of revisions (Debian 4.0.1-1, which was
X 4.0.1d). Something seemed to change after that.

The topic came up again recently on the debian X mailing list, and I've
tried running again with Kevin's latest slow driver. I collected the log
files for different options and placed them at the web site given below.
Incidentally, running "strace startx" gives much the same result in
each case.

Unfortunately the links to the logs seem to want to download to file, rather
than being handled by the browser as text.  They handled okay in my local
copy though. Oh well.

I hope the logs will be helpful in finding the bug.  They are listed at

http://dparsons.webjump.com/X-s3virge/X-s3virge.html

Regards,

Drew Parsons.

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A