Re: xserver-xfree86 4.0.2-1 and S3 ViRGE/MX problems

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 11:10:35AM -0500, Kevin Brosius wrote:

> There's a new version up on my web page (ver 1.6.3).  It's another
> incremental start version which _will_ show a difference in the log.  (I
> promise!)  Would you try it out?  It takes a little longer to start
> fully, ~4 seconds, so allow 30-35 total.
>
> After trying it normally, add
>
> Option "s3v_debug" "1"
>
> to your driver section and let me know if that makes any difference.  (I
> don't need to see logs for this or the next case.  Although you'll
> notice this disables the register dump diagnostic printouts in the log.)
>
> If no improvement, try Option "s3v_debug" "2".  This disables a
> different printout, which is printing register which don't exist on the
> MX.

I tried the new 1.63 test module, with the following results:

For the v1.63 test driver, the result with no options was the same
as before, the system freezes and does not even respond to magic Sysrq keys.

With the s3v_debug options, however, the server did start up, only with
incorrect behaviour. X opened up to a plain blue background, with the cursor
operative but represented by two large vertical white bars.  Enlightenment
(my window manager) did not start up), nor did the Eterm in my .xsession
file.  Only the white-bar cursor appeared.  The system stopped displaying
anything after going to a virtual console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) or by stopping X
(Ctrl-Alt-BkSpc).  However in this case the magic SysRq keys still worked, I
could save to disk with Alt-SysRq-S, and reboot  with Alt-Sysrq-U +
Alt-Sysrq-B.  Presumeably at this point I might have been able to ssh in
from another machine, but I didn't have another machine to try it with.
This behaviour was the same both for s3v_debug = 1 and 2.

I've put my logs up at

http://dparsons.webjump.com/X-s3virge/X-s3virge.html

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A