Re: xserver-xfree86 4.0.2-1 and S3 ViRGE/MX problems

Robert Norris wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Until recently, I've had XFree86 from potato installed on my Toshiba
> Satellite Pro 490XCDT, without issue. This laptop has a S3 ViRGE/MX
> video chip, so I was using xserver-svga 3.3.6-11.
>
> Today I upgraded the system to woody. xserver-xfree86 4.0.2-1 was
> installed.
>
> After configuring and starting the server, the screen went blank and the
> system hung. The machine did not respond to pings from the network, and
> the Alt-SysRQ-<x> key combo did nothing.
>
> I found bug #78406, which seems to describe this exact same problem, but
> it also states that it has been fixed.
>
> I have some logfiles and other information available at
> http://nauseum.org/x4-virge/ . This is everything that I would submit in
> a bug report, though I'm reluctant to do so initially in case I missed
> something simple. If people prefer it, I'll post them all to the list,
> but they are large.
>
> I've generated these logs by remounting the filesystems with the "sync"
> option and then holding Alt-SysRQ-S until the disks and output from ping
> on another machine stopped.
>
> I've tried five different virge drivers - the one included with 4.0.2-1
> and all the alternate drivers available from
> http://www.user1.netcarrier.com/~kbrosius/virge.html . The log output
> from all of these is included, however, none have made any real
> difference.
>
> Does anyone have any other ideas I can try? Should I submit a proper bug
> report?
>
> TIA,
> Rob.

As far as XFree86 is concerned, you don't need to submit any more than
this.  I've forwarded your message to the private ViRGE mailing list,
we'll see if anyone with a ViRGE MX can take a look.  Will you be taking
the log files down soon?

Have you tried 'XFree86 -configure' yet?  That will generate a generic
XF86Config file.  Let me know if you see any difference.  It can't be
any worse...

There's also a small chance that trying:

Option "noaccel"
Option "usefb" "no"

one at a time in the device section of XF86Config might make a
difference.  (These are work-arounds.  If they show improvement it helps
us narrow down the bug.)

--
Kevin