Re: Project for someone with time and will: website update

On 29 April 2011 05:59, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting Lesley Binks (lesley.binks@googlemail.com):
>
>> promotion of women within the Debian community having its
>> website built by a bloke.  No disrespect intended to any man with
>                     ^^^^^
>
> I just followed that thread but I'm blocked by something: as a
> non-native speaker of English language, I can't get all the subtleties
> of the above word. For some reason (which may be wrong), I take it as
> offensive (not to me: I can't design a website). I may be entirely
> wrong but maybe the same happened to Karolina who was apparently
> hurted in some way.
>
> Would it be possible to put some light on this? I very much doubt you
> intend to be insulting, probably more direct....but I'm not sure that
> such intent is clear. After all, ruling out someone's proposal, even
> with the best intents in the world is one of the hardest things to
> do...particularly by email.
I am quite happy to concur with later posters on this matter.  There
was no intention on my part to insult Karolina or her boyfriend.
On the other hand I was getting annoyed by her apparent
 conviction that the absolute best thing in the world for the Debian
 women's project website was to (a) have a male do the website
and (b) disregard the opportunity to make the DW website
more inclusive in the Debian project as a whole i.e. Drupal versus
ikiwiki. This conviction seemed to be progressing to the point where
she didn't seem to be taking on board what was being said by
anyone else.
So I am sorry for being annoyed with Karolina's point of view and
posting on list while annoyed as well as using colliqual words to
describe people and confuse everyone.  I don't regard the word
'bloke' as offensive at all.

> I'm probably influenced by the fact that I had useful collaboration
> with Karolina in other work areas in Debian and I would be really
> annoyed if she's hurt by a remark made in a d-w thread...and
> discouraged in some way to collaborate deeper in the project.

I don't feel I am discouraging Karolina from continuing to contribute
to the Debian project or the DW website. The
suggestion has been made she could do the website herself,
which she then turned down because she thinks she lacks the skills.

Her initial proposal is the type of proposal that makes me wonder
if the DW project really has anything to do with women *doing*,
building up their confidence, skill levels and experience, if members of
the project are so totally insistent on handing tasks to men all the
time.

That really makes me question the true value of the DW project.

> It probably just needs some clarification and we're all ready to have
> beers together at Debconf..:)

Have a nice Debconf :)

--
Kind Regards

Lesley Binks

A: because it disrupts the normal flow of conversation.
Q: why is top-posting so annoying?
A: top-post reply.
Q: what's the most annoying thing you can do in email?