Re: #debian (was: DW quotes)

On 16/06/2005, at 3:05 PM, Peter Samuelson wrote:

The Project's IRC presence is on irc.freenode.net, aka irc.debian.org.
In Debian contexts, you can usually assume that network.  #debian on
Freenode is very large (800+ people) and busy.  Perhaps 3 or 4 of the
many regulars have amassed a reputation as having nothing better to do
with their time than make newbies feel inferior.  Nobody knows why.

Some years ago, some Debian developers got annoyed with certain
Freenode staff and policies, and took off for irc.oftc.net.  As a
result, some Project business happens over there instead.  A #debian
channel exists on irc.oftc.net as well, but is not very active.

If you haven't sampled the Debian development IRC scene, you'll want to
start on irc.freenode.net (or, for possibly better connectivity,
irc.au.freenode.net), #debian-women and #debian-devel.

Thanks, Peter, that's helpful. I've passed this on to my son, as I know he'll be interested to compare it with their channel, and what they are trying to do.

I have great difficulty with any live interaction: it takes a lot of effort to type anything, or speak, so email is more manageable. All the same, I'd love to have a look one day...

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc