Re: DW quotes

Let's call this a kind of "oldtimer" answer even though I'm not that an
oldtimer, at least when it comes at Debian (well, I'm a Debian old old
old user, but only participating oin the project since
2000). Otherwise, I'm afraid I am an oldtimer, really (/me waves to
other dinosaurs and elephants in the audience)

Quoting Erinn Clark (erinn@double-helix.org):

> - How the project has helped you

It helped me in several ways, both for my Debian activities AND for my
general professionnal activities (which are "desktop systems
architecture design" in a research organization, FWIW).

I think that the emergence of d-w last year, especially after Erinn's
talk at Debconf, bringed me a newer light on the place of women in
information technology in general, on the role I can have to change
things that need to be changed and on my general perception of the
qualities required to work in IT environments.

The difficulties encountered by women to be part of the Free software
movement and, indeed, of the IT world at all (even on the Evil Side)
have some origin in our behaviour (yes, our....men, I mean).

So, girls, in short, I think you made me open my mind and think
differently (not you only....my wife work is human resources,
so...). Just like discovering free software 12 years ago made me think
differently about software.

> - How it's different/better than other groups you've been associated
>   with (or maybe even worse, it's not like we don't need to improve...)

The unique quality of d-w seems to me that we men have always been
welcomed as long as we show we really want to be part of the project
and do our part of the work. I may be wrong, but this is maybe not the
case of all "women in free software" movements (correct and bash me if
I'm wrong). At least, this has always been the image of this project
and this is what I like in it.

> - How it's affected your view of Debian as a whole (especially helpful
>   coming from newcomers, but also good from old-timers)

It certainly changed my perception of the way we, Debianers, are
viewed from the outside (by men and women, btw).

It also showed me that this project is unique because very quickly
many key people of the project (mostly men) were very supportive of
it. This is a new perception of the Debian community, very different
from the atmosphere of some Debian mailing lists...probably quite
close from the atmosphere of Debian in its early days (better ask
Manoj whether I'm true or not).

This is indeed of of the traps of the project, btw : it should remain
driven by women mostly but you'll get more and more men involving
themselves for very good reasons. So, you will always have to keep a
balance for this which will not always be easy, actually (see the
recent thread about the map). And there's always a risk that it turn
out into a club. A very friendly club, for sure (which is Not That
Bad)...but a bit far from the original goals. I think that this risk
is currently well managed but this will always need attention.

OK, I'm too verbose *again*. I really wonder how people will accept
this at Debconf..:-). Good luck for cutting these comments down to
something useful, Erinn....