Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 03:01:41PM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 8/23/22 22:22, Bart Martens wrote:
>
> > > Debian would recommend the one with non-free-firmware, for the
> > > purposes of enabling users to install on current hardware, but both
> > > would be available.
>
> > Do we need to recommend one above the other? I'd rather use some short
> > explanation per installer to help the user choose.
>
> This. Both installers have trade-offs:
>
> Free installer:
>
>  - will not work with some hardware
>  + fully supported
>  + can be redistributed freely
>
> Installer including firmware:
>
>  + supports more hardware
>  - some bugs might be unfixable
>  - users need to be aware of non-free licenses
>
> The third point is something we can and should address in the medium term:
> so far, license checks for non-free components have been mostly "can Debian
> redistribute this" and "can users install this".

The suggestion is for there to be a new section, "non-free-firmware".
The requirements on this new section need not be the same as those on
non-free.

Thus, your concern can easily be handled by requiring maintainers and/or
ftpmasters to vet licenses of packages before they are moved to
non-free-firmware.

--
     w@uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}

I will have a Tin-Actinium-Potassium mixture, thanks.