Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

Quoting Simon Richter (2022-08-26 15:01:41)
> IMO: Both installers should be on the same download page, with a brief
> explanation on who should select which (like we used to have in package
> descriptions), and possibly a longer page explaining this in more detail.
[...]
> Key design points:
>
>   - two columns, side-by-side
>   - avoiding the word "official" completely
>   - the DFSG and DSC have a prominent place and are set in contrast with
> the non-free images
[...]

> I'm not entirely sure what this would translate to in GR terms, probably
> something along the lines of
>
> ---
> Debian recognizes that some modern hardware requires firmware components
> that do not fulfill the DFSG, and that these may be needed at
> installation time. As our priorities are our users, and free software,
> we provide an installer image that includes these components, and inform
> users that these, like the "non-free" archive component, are not covered
> by the Debian Social Contract and provided on a best-effort basis.
> ---
>
> This, IMO, resolves the conflict with the DSC by clarifying that we are
> making an exception here and why, and highlights that we still do not
> believe our users' needs are or can be adequately met by non-free software.

Thanks a lot, Simon.

I would vote for a proposal like the above.  What I mean by that is (not
that I think we should all post "me too" posts here but) since I have
strongly ben in favor of using "offficial" label to indicate what we as
project can support, I agree that this is an approach that abandons such
label yet ensures explicitly in the text we vote on that "non-free" will
be clearly communicated to our users.

 - Jonas