Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:20:13PM +0300, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> According to my reading of the proposal - either logind gets an RC bug
> for not being able to work with other init systems

To be clear, this would be a bug against src:systemd about it not
working with non-systemd. Do we expect the systemd maintainers to fix
this?

> (here logind is
> considered a separate piece of software) or apps who have a hard
> dependency on logind (without fallbacks for cases when it does not
> exist or is not running) get a RC bug for that (here logind is
> considered to be an integral part of systemd).

Here, we will likely do invasive forks of major upstream software
(GNOME) to get around a local requirement; do we expect the GNOME team
to do this?

> > So we can't rely on a new library until that library is supported on all
> > init systems? (e.g. logind before shim, etc)
>
> I'd see it as - new library can't get into Debian [stable release]
> until is capable of working with installations being managed by any
> init system or even no init system at all (like inside a Docker
> container ;)).

I don't think it's unfair that things don't work in Docker if they need
some userland stuff that isn't around.

> > Getting tired of these threads :(
>
> True that. But at least this is about an actual point. (IMHO)

Word.

Still on VAC-ly yours,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87