Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:03:49PM +0300, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> See, there is a clear difference:

[snip]

> * if your software only works if started by this one init system -
> that is a problem.

I don't quite understand this - what if you depend on something that's
only provided / supported on one init system? Take for example the case
of logind before we had the shim?

> The requirement is that software should be able to work regardless of
> how it is started - by systemd, by sysvinit, by other init system or
> by a plain shell script called from the "init=" kernel parameter. If
> there are any dependant services, those should be also able to be
> simply startable by anything.

So we can't rely on a new library until that library is supported on all
init systems? (e.g. logind before shim, etc)

> All software in previous Debian releases
> satisfied this requirement, so there wasn't even any need to consider
> adding such requirement to the policy.

Getting tired of these threads :(
   Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87