Re: Non-Free Warning at Package Install -- Was: Alternate proposal

Hi,
>>"Branden" == Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> writes:

 >> Oh? What rant? I was not clear enough? There are people around
 >> proposing that every non-free package, while being installed, should
 >> shout that it is non-free. I remarked that vrms would fit well there,
 >> and can be made as obnoxious as people want.

 Branden> I don't see how making a straw man out of the vrms package
 Branden> really furthers calm discussion on the subject.

        I was not making a straw man out of the package. That was a
 serius suggestion.

 >> Read the thread. He asked for more than that, but was
 >> negotiated down to vrms.

 Branden> Well, if he's been "negotiated down" to something, why keep
 Branden> arguing against a position he's apparently abandoned?

        Because other people have not yet been convinced.

 >> Have you actually read this thread, and the others on related
 >> issues in this mailing list? There have been various and sundry
 >> proposals for all kinds of suppression and even removal of non-free
 >> packages and information leading thereof all over the place. I saw
 >> this suggestion, and immediately saw the potential. Do I really have
 >> to spell things out in words of one syllable?

 Branden> "Immediately saw the potential" sounds dangerously close to a
 Branden> slippery-slope argument to me.

        Huh?

 Branden> But I could be wrong.  In any case, wouldn't it make more
 Branden> sense to address the actual content of Craig's message
 Branden> instead of whatever hidden agenda you think he may have?

        Hidden agenda? And, anyway, the question at hand had been
 answered. I just felt that the answer would also be a solution to
 other problems we see here.

        What is wrong with that?

 Branden> If the latter, I think you should come out and say that you
 Branden> think Craig is being disingenuous.

        I think you are the one seeing hidden agendas all over the
 place.Mine was a simple Eureka! merssage, which you choose to cast
 into all kinds of strange guises (first a rant, and now some kind os
 answer to some one elses alleged hidden agendas. Let me guess -- You
 are an X files fan?)

 Branden> How does this follow from Joey's informational remark?

 >> *Sigh*. It is called association. One makes associations, and
 >> corelations, based on data input. This seemed such a logical solution
 >> to all the people who want non-free software installation to be rude
 >> an obnoxious -- we can make the package configurably obnoxious, and
 >> let people choose the setting

 Branden> My interpretation is that presenting vrms as potentially
 Branden> modifiable to support customizable extreme obnoxious is just
 Branden> as effort to paint those opposed to your position in an
 Branden> unfavorable light.

        Oh, Jeez.

 Branden> You've made it clear that you'd be unhappy with any change
 Branden> in the way the non-free section of the archive is handled,
 Branden> but I do not feel that dressing up the vrms package to spout
 Branden> extremist rhetoric and then suggesting it as a solution that
 Branden> is prefectly reasonable to your ideological opponents is a
 Branden> responsible debate tactic.

        It is not a debate tactic. Some people are obviously upset at
 having non-free software on their system. I understand perfectly. The
 package can be an ideal comapnion to these folks. One can make the
 packages output modifiable,, and people can make the package as
 strict a guardian of the purity of their machine as they desire.

        I think you are getting quite paranoid, and over reacting to a
 generally helpful message. Doubtless, you shall cast even this
 rejoinder as some kind of uber-debating tactic.

        I find it funny that you are protesting debating tatics, while
 willfully tarring my voews are irresponsible tactics, rather than
 restricting yourself to the content of my message. I guess you want
 the rest of us to do as you say, not as you actally do, eh?

        manoj
 mystified
--
 Women are always anxious to urge bachelors to matrimony; is it from
 charity, or revenge? Gustave Vapereau