Re: The Gordian Knot (was Re: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal)

Ean R . Schuessler wrote:
> Removing the non-free software from apt's source list, the mirror network
> and other resources is rather a different question. Shipping apt with a
> non-free-free source list rather defeats its core purpose which is to
> make it easy for users to find the software they want. However, I can see
> your point that it may silently "addict" users to non-free software without
> their knowledge.

I feel the main problem wrt. this issue is that the default configuration
for all access methods silently include non-free.  If you want to install
a free system you have to edit it and abandon the default.  It should be
vice versa.

> Again, I would love to see apt detect when it is about to install a non-free
> package and take that oppurtunity to present the user with some Free
> Software propaganda. ie:

It should not be limited to apt.

> # apt-get install gimp-nonfree
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   gimp-nonfree
> 0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 51 not upgraded.
> Need to get 29.9kB of archives. After unpacking 72.7kB will be used.
>
> WARNING: YOU ARE ABOUT TO INSTALL A PACKAGE ON YOUR SYSTEM WHICH IS NOT
>          FREE SOFTWARE. THIS MAY MEAN THAT YOU WILL NOT HAVE ACCESS TO
>          THE SOURCE CODE, MAY BE SUBJECT TO LICENSE FEES, OR A NUMBER OF
>          OTHER INCONVENIENT AND IMMORAL SITUATIONS THAT NO REASONABLE
>          DEBIAN USER WOULD EVER ALLOW THEMSELVES TO BE DRAWN INTO.
> Are you very sure you would like to proceed [y/N]? y

Please do not shout.

> Get:1 http://mirror potato/non-free gimp-nonfree 1.0.4-2 [29.9kB]
> Fetched 29.9kB in 0s (88.0kB/s)
> Selecting previously deselected package gimp-nonfree.
> (Reading database ... 28294 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking gimp-nonfree (from .../gimp-nonfree_1.0.4-2_i386.deb) ...
> Setting up gimp-nonfree (1.0.4-2) ...
>
> Isn't that more fun than removing a line that a determined user will just
> put back in? It's certainly more irritating to users of non-free software.

Indeed.

Regards,

	Joey

--