Re: Non-Free Warning at Package Install -- Was: Alternate proposal

On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 02:14:44PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  Martin> Craig Brozefsky wrote:
>  >> I would also like for it to be easy for me to determine which non-free
>  >> packages are on my system.  I'm no dpkg slouch, but I haven't figured
>  >> out an easy way (less than 10 minutes of awk scripting) to do it yet.
>
>  Martin> Install vrms.
>
>         This I like. Rather than imposing political agendas on all
>  users, people who do not like non-free software can just install it
>  on their machine. We can even make vrms be as obnoxious as we wish --
>  like asking on every install, every removal, and sending email every
>  5 seconds, deleting non-free software surreptitiously, whatever
>  people want on their machines.

What is the point of this rant?

Craig Brozefsky asked for a tool that would make it easy for him to
determine which non-free packages were on his system

Joey directed him to such a tool.

How does this lead us down a slippery slope to "ehancing" the vrms program
to being obnoxious in the manner you describe?

>         It should not be imposed on users who have chosen to so
>  install the non-fee software.

How does this follow from Joey's informational remark?

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   You don't just decide to break Kubrick's
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   code of silence and then get drawn away