Re: Non-Free Warning at Package Install -- Was: Alternate proposal

Hi,
>>"Branden" == Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> writes:

 Branden> On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 02:14:44PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 Martin> Craig Brozefsky wrote:
 Martin> Install vrms.

 >> This I like. Rather than imposing political agendas on all
 >> users, people who do not like non-free software can just install it
 >> on their machine. We can even make vrms be as obnoxious as we wish --
 >> like asking on every install, every removal, and sending email every
 >> 5 seconds, deleting non-free software surreptitiously, whatever
 >> people want on their machines.

 Branden> What is the point of this rant?

        Oh? What rant? I was not clear enough? There are people around
 proposing that every non-free package, while being installed, should
 shout that it is non-free. I remarked that vrms would fit well there,
 and can be made as obnoxious as people want.

 Branden> Craig Brozefsky asked for a tool that would make it easy for him to
 Branden> determine which non-free packages were on his system

        Read the thread. He asked for more than that, but was
 negotiated down to vrms.

 Branden> Joey directed him to such a tool.

        And jolly good it was too.

 Branden> How does this lead us down a slippery slope to "ehancing"
 Branden> the vrms program to being obnoxious in the manner you
 Branden> describe?

        Have you actually read this thread, and the others on related
 issues in this mailing list? There have been various and sundry
 proposals for all kinds of suppression and even removal of non-free
 packages and information leading thereof all over the place. I saw
 this suggestion, and immediately saw the potential. Do I really have
 to spell things out in words of one syllable?

 >> It should not be imposed on users who have chosen to so
 >> install the non-fee software.

 Branden> How does this follow from Joey's informational remark?

        *Sigh*. It is called association. One makes associations, and
 corelations, based on data input. This seemed such a logical solution
 to all the people who want non-free software installation to be rude
 an obnoxious -- we can make the package configurably obnoxious, and
 let people choose the setting

        manoj

--
 FORTUNE DISCUSSES THE OBSCURE FILMS: #3 MIRACLE ON 42ND STREET: Santa
 Claus, in the off season, follows his heart's desire and tries to