Re: Non-Free Warning at Package Install -- Was: Alternate proposal

>         Oh? What rant? I was not clear enough? There are people around
>  proposing that every non-free package, while being installed, should
>  shout that it is non-free. I remarked that vrms would fit well there,
>  and can be made as obnoxious as people want.

I don't see how making a straw man out of the vrms package really furthers
calm discussion on the subject.

>         Read the thread. He asked for more than that, but was
>  negotiated down to vrms.

Well, if he's been "negotiated down" to something, why keep arguing against
a position he's apparently abandoned?

>         Have you actually read this thread, and the others on related
>  issues in this mailing list? There have been various and sundry
>  proposals for all kinds of suppression and even removal of non-free
>  packages and information leading thereof all over the place. I saw
>  this suggestion, and immediately saw the potential. Do I really have
>  to spell things out in words of one syllable?

"Immediately saw the potential" sounds dangerously close to a
slippery-slope argument to me.  But I could be wrong.  In any case,
wouldn't it make more sense to address the actual content of Craig's
message instead of whatever hidden agenda you think he may have?  If
the latter, I think you should come out and say that you think Craig is
being disingenuous.

>  Branden> How does this follow from Joey's informational remark?
>
>         *Sigh*. It is called association. One makes associations, and
>  corelations, based on data input. This seemed such a logical solution
>  to all the people who want non-free software installation to be rude
>  an obnoxious -- we can make the package configurably obnoxious, and
>  let people choose the setting

My interpretation is that presenting vrms as potentially modifiable to
support customizable extreme obnoxious is just as effort to paint those
opposed to your position in an unfavorable light.

You've made it clear that you'd be unhappy with any change in the way the
non-free section of the archive is handled, but I do not feel that dressing
up the vrms package to spout extremist rhetoric and then suggesting it as a
solution that is prefectly reasonable to your ideological opponents is a
responsible debate tactic.

You may, of course, feel differently.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    The greatest productive force is human
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    selfishness.