Re: Verison IPv6 -- I want to stick with IPv4 (was Re: ipv6: static ipv6 address with dynamic network address possible?)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2022, David Wright wrote:

On Sun 14 Aug 2022 at 05:35:17 (+0000), Marco wrote:
Am 13. Aug 2022, um 23:42:17 Uhr schrieb David Wright:

AFAICT the rest of your post is concerned with global IPv6 addresses
rather than local (ULA) ones, which is why the prefix for the home
LAN has to be given to you rather than generated/assigned by yourself.

It is possible to use an additional ULA at home to address computers.
This ULA can be taken to a new provider because it is only valid inside
your network - not on the internet.

Sure, and if Curt had quoted two paragraphs about ULAs instead,
I would have pointed out that the user-generated pseudorandom
global ID within them means that they too are unlike local
IPv4 addresses, ie not fundamentally identical.

A consequence of IPv6 ULAs having a global ID is that it should be
straightforward to merge a number of local sites with independently
assigned addresses, without causing any collisions.

Perhaps that clarifies what I took from Curt's use of the term
"fundamentally identical" with respect to IPv4 local addresses.

Isn't the danger here that everybody starts using fd00::/64. Even for
ipv4, the odds of two sets of private addresses colliding should have
been small...

I know there's an RFC for avoiding this but I'll be pleasantly surprised
if it's widely followed as ipv6 starts taking over the bulk of internet
traffic for everything.