Re: Verison IPv6 -- I want to stick with IPv4 (was Re: ipv6: static ipv6 address with dynamic network address possible?)

Hello,

On Tue, Aug 02, 2022 at 10:44:54AM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, August 01, 2022 12:08:47 PM Lee wrote:
> > Verizon FIOS finally rolled out IPv6 in my area.  yay!
>
> I guess if I read that right, Verizon still supports IPv4 and has not
> announced any plans to discontinue it?

That would be commercial suicide. At present you have to go out of
your way to buy IPv6-only services.

> I feel like I'm getting too old to learn (too many) new things, so if my ISP
> made a similar announcement, I'd want to stick with IPv4.

The level of panic over IPv6 is really getting silly. Smarter people
than you or I have spent decades designing this. It's not perfect
but the goal of it is that things continue working without the user
noticing anything.

Normal people don't know what an IPv4 is (though they may recognise
the term "IP address"). I think the phrase, "a little knowledge is a
dangerous thing" applies here: you know enough about IPv4 and
networking in general to know that IPv6 is different, which worries
you. But in reality you probably aren't ever going to have to take
any action with regard to IPv6.

> Or, I'd be looking for a very simple explanation of how to switch to and use
> Ipv6 -- not looking for that now, but Imight have to at some point. :-(

Just do nothing.

I'm currently at a client site where I've been for 3 days and I just
checked and I'm using IPv6. The connectivity is provided by Sky
broadband, a popular consumer and business ISP in UK. Most of Sky's
customers will not know or care that at some point IPv6 got switched
on for them.

If you host content/services then you might want to increase the
priority of learning IPv6 basics so that you can make sure that your
content is available by IPv6 as well as legacy v4.

Cheers,
Andy