Re: Verison IPv6 -- I want to stick with IPv4 (was Re: ipv6: static ipv6 address with dynamic network address possible?)

Am 15. Aug 2022, um 08:15:30 Uhr schrieb Tim Woodall:

> Isn't the danger here that everybody starts using fd00::/64. Even for
> ipv4, the odds of two sets of private addresses colliding should have
> been small...

They may collide, but it is not a real problem, because it only affects
the situation when 2 sites are connected together.
Using random bits avoids such a situation, but if they collide, one
of the networks must be changed.

> I know there's an RFC for avoiding this but I'll be pleasantly
> surprised if it's widely followed as ipv6 starts taking over the bulk
> of internet traffic for everything.

IPv6 ULA isn't being used for internet traffic, it is intended for
traffic within a site, like company network or a home network.

If 2 companies use IPv6 ULA with random bits, the probability of a
collision is very low if they now interconnect their networks via a
direct connection (without internet).

Internet traffic uses 2000::/3 and fd00::/7 must not be used for
outgoing traffic.