Re: Verison IPv6 -- I want to stick with IPv4 (was Re: ipv6: static ipv6 address with dynamic network address possible?)

On Sun 14 Aug 2022 at 05:35:17 (+0000), Marco wrote:
> Am 13. Aug 2022, um 23:42:17 Uhr schrieb David Wright:
>
> > AFAICT the rest of your post is concerned with global IPv6 addresses
> > rather than local (ULA) ones, which is why the prefix for the home
> > LAN has to be given to you rather than generated/assigned by yourself.
>
> It is possible to use an additional ULA at home to address computers.
> This ULA can be taken to a new provider because it is only valid inside
> your network - not on the internet.

Sure, and if Curt had quoted two paragraphs about ULAs instead,
I would have pointed out that the user-generated pseudorandom
global ID within them means that they too are unlike local
IPv4 addresses, ie not fundamentally identical.

A consequence of IPv6 ULAs having a global ID is that it should be
straightforward to merge a number of local sites with independently
assigned addresses, without causing any collisions.

Perhaps that clarifies what I took from Curt's use of the term
"fundamentally identical" with respect to IPv4 local addresses.

> Then the GUA prefix is being used to connect to other computers
> on the internet outside your network. Your computer can have multiple
> IPv6 addresses, it already has at least 2 (link-local and GUA).

Cheers,
David.