Re: Creating my first LAN

On 03/30/2021 09:11 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Thu 25 Mar 2021 at 17:02:36 (+0000), Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

You still have he magic Mifi hotspot from T-Mobile that you were connecting
to via USB. That may well have DHCP and DNS functionality built in - assuming
you have wifi drivers installed on your two machines, it may well "just work"
in assigning addresses, allwoing for communication between machines.

That would involve taking the cover off, removing the battery, then
the SIM, refitting the battery and back cover. That's assuming it
still provides a LAN service when disconnected from its WAN (which
it ought). And then reversing the above whenever you *want* the Internet.

That's what it's _designed_ for :-)

I would be surprised if it didn't have DHCP, as it's a portable device
and would expect to be seeing a lot of new devices. But I have no idea
why they would go to the trouble and expense of providing a DNS server.
How would you use it?

Cheers,
David.

In a way, every thing you say is true. It is unclear how much of the intelligence displayed is physically in the T-Mobile supplied physical device and how much is in the system that connects the far end of the cell channel to the rest of the world. The format of error messages I get with a malformed URL leads me to suspect much is at the other end of the cell network connection.

What well meaning members of this list have not picked up on is that I am very literal minded and careful in phrasing my questions. I've said somewhere in this thread that my "universe of discourse" is explicitly limited to Laptop-1 and Laptop2. I've not been a sophomore B.S.E.E. student for over a half-century ;} But I can see a Sophomore lab being set up with my specified constraints. Since this thread started I have been reading about "ad-hoc networks". That's my goal. Real world has temporarily interrupted my pursuit.

More will eventually follow.