Re: Creating my first LAN

On 2021-03-24 15:34, Richard Owlett wrote:
This is essentially a reading list request.
I have never administered a LAN and believe in "learning by doing".
I have two laptops with clean installs of Buster. During installation
server software was installed on *ONE* of them. Communication will be
via WiFi. The MATE panel's network connection icon for each laptop
shows the existence of WiFi sources in the neighborhood.

Any specific suggestions for reading?
What internet search terms will lead to productive results?
TIA

I'd get the wired connection to work first.
You might need a x-over RJ45 cable to connect the 2 together.
A x-over cable has the red and green wires swapped over
red > green
green > red
red stripey > green stripey
green stripey > red stripey
If you put them in the same network address range
10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2
subnetmask 255.255.255.0
you might be able to ping each other then you could get ssh working.

mick
--
Key ID    4BFEBB31