Re: Creating my first LAN

Richard Owlett wrote:

> This is essentially a reading list request.
> I have never administered a LAN and believe in "learning by doing".
> I have two laptops with clean installs of Buster. During installation
> server software was installed on *ONE* of them. Communication will be
> via WiFi. The MATE panel's network connection icon for each laptop shows
> the existence of WiFi sources in the neighborhood.
>
> Any specific suggestions for reading?
> What internet search terms will lead to productive results?

  Part 1 (Answers last questions first).

  Google Linux WiFi Networking Overview
  Google Linux Wifi Networking Administration Overview

  if you want more general remove the word "WiFi"

  Part 2 (Asides to be ignored:  :) )

  for my own needs i just use a crossover cable and skip
WiFi entirely - probably because in more ancient times
i've done connections between machines via null modem
serial port cables.

  i don't need WiFi here and i dislike broadcasting
anything for no reason other than to avoid a cable run.

  songbird