Re: Creating my first LAN

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 06:51:32PM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 25 mar 21, 05:15:46, songbird wrote:
> >
> >   for my own needs i just use a crossover cable and skip
> > WiFi entirely - probably because in more ancient times
> > i've done connections between machines via null modem
> > serial port cables.
>
> With newer hardware (Gigabit as well as some 100Mbit network cards)
> regular cables should also work.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-dependent_interface#Auto_MDI-X
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --
> http://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser

Richard,

You still have he magic Mifi hotspot from T-Mobile that you were connecting
to via USB. That may well have DHCP and DNS functionality built in - assuming
you have wifi drivers installed on your two machines, it may well "just work"
in assigning addresses, allwoing for communication between machines.

That's what it's _designed_ for :-)

That way, you can check that both machines work - they have something to talk
to and you don't necessarily have to go back to TLDP references that may well
be out of date.

All best, as ever,

Andy C.