Re: Creating my first LAN

On Thu 25 Mar 2021 at 17:02:36 (+0000), Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> You still have he magic Mifi hotspot from T-Mobile that you were connecting
> to via USB. That may well have DHCP and DNS functionality built in - assuming
> you have wifi drivers installed on your two machines, it may well "just work"
> in assigning addresses, allwoing for communication between machines.

That would involve taking the cover off, removing the battery, then
the SIM, refitting the battery and back cover. That's assuming it
still provides a LAN service when disconnected from its WAN (which
it ought). And then reversing the above whenever you *want* the Internet.

> That's what it's _designed_ for :-)

I would be surprised if it didn't have DHCP, as it's a portable device
and would expect to be seeing a lot of new devices. But I have no idea
why they would go to the trouble and expense of providing a DNS server.
How would you use it?

Cheers,
David.