Re: [OT] Re: Social-media antipathy (was Re: How i can optimize my operating system?)

Weaver wrote:

> On 21-03-2021 20:39, deloptes wrote:
>> Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>>
>>> In hindsight, what was meant as a joke probably came out as mocking, I
>>> apologise for that.
>>>
>>> I'm sure you do know that the public key needs to be made available for
>>> others to be able to send you encrypted messages.
>>>
>>> Of course the *primary* private key should be protected properly. A
>>> Debian recommendation (that I can't find) was suggesting to generate and
>>> keep it on a Tails USB stick and use it only for certifying other keys.
>>>
>>> Day to day work (messages, signing packages, etc.) should be done with
>>> sub-keys instead.
>>
>> Yes, I recall this from the past. So basically there are two use cases
>> here. What I was reffering to is cases like Snowden or Assange or some
>> investigative journalists who do not survive like Navalni and are not
>> Russians ;-).
>
> Well, Navalny isn't an investigative journalist, he's just an agitator.
> And, word is, he's a CIA asset, so you're right in he isn't Russian,
> either. He got it lucky: I thought he'd wind up in Black Dolphin, or
> similar, but he got a really easy gig in a work camp, not far from
> Moscow.

Yes he is working for one guy called Bill Browder, who himself is behind the
anti Russia campaigns - google it - it is worth reading/knowing.
Everytime I write in public about it, I fear, although I am in a western
democratic country. I fear, because I know what happened to people with
much more capabilities than me.

>> You are reffering to cases in the public domain, but IMO here it works
>> perfectly well (signing packages or similar)
>> In the use case I reffer to one should take care of his/her life.
>
> This is important. The individual has the right to make their own
> decisions on their own personal existence. The right to make the wrong
> one, and the right to suffer by it.

Indeed - this is why I am against over regulating stuff. For example I find
it good that in the EU food manufactureres are obliged to write the content
on the package. You then decide if you buy and eat or not. It is amazing to
me that these products still sell - something called food and does not have
anything to do with food. No wonder stomach and other types of cancer
explode.

>> Exchanging
>> keys via public domain is not what I would do and even so - it was
>> proven "they" are capturing your screen (after you decrypted) and sending
>> it home for further analyses.
>
> Making the `public domain `public' again would be a good move. When the
> network is owned, as it is now, there will always be compromise. There
> will be a `product' to sell.

Agree - but it is complicated topic. IMO it is similar to Water Supply -
also very interesting stories, no one is talking about (France, England,
Germany etc.).

>> In the public domain I do not see how the avg. Joe would manage it to
>> stay safe. It is impossible ... most do not care, do not understand or do
>> not have the capacity.
>
> Most are currently involved with whether they're going to be voting
> Republican or Democrat, next time, in and endless cycle of always voting
> for the same party with two different names, and which of the two only
> pre-selected Presidential candidates they are going to place their faith
> in, in a show that is no more than the illusion of a democratic process.
>
>> I would not bother unless they have the right to vote -
>> and yes they do and so determine your future.
>>
>> So to jump to the conclusion - this form of democracy is counter
>> productive and we should have open debate regarding some better form of
>> democracy - lets say next generation democracy. (Covid-19 also showed
>> that a more totalitarian/military style approach gives better results -
>> and I do not mean China here).
>
> I was in China at the time, and it was far from `totalitarian/militant'.
> The people just played it smart, as they also did in New Zealand, which
> was also not `totalitarian/militant'.

Well, they are brain washed - in a sense they know that it is impossible to
stand up against and also might be not wise, because proven is the fact
they manage things better than neighbor India or developed Europe.
I wanted to avoid being criticized for praising China.