Re: Social-media antipathy (was Re: How i can optimize my operating system?)

On Thu 18 Mar 2021 at 21:09:58 +0100, deloptes wrote:

> tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> > Come on, as soon as you go out to the street you can be run over by a
> > bus...
> >
> > You'll still take some precautions, as it might enhance your odds of
> > survival :)
> >
> >> Why should I bother with your encryption efforts, when I can read your
> >> screen?
> >
> > This is a good point: one of the weak points of E2E encryptions is,
> > indeed, the one end. The other is... the other end ;-)
>
> If I were to advise someone on using encryption I would recommend the
> isolated island solution.

Well worth considering. Isle of Man version is popular.

> As Snowden said do not use a phone with a microphone on it ;-)

How wise!

> Anything that is connected to a network is already compromised. If you are

I wish I had realised that before getting involved in this internet
stuff.

> paranoid - isolate the machine where you read and write, encrypt and
> decrypt your messages! I was thinking of starting a crowdfund project for
> such a device, but no time to even draft a business plan.

Perhaps you and all the others could use -debian-offtopic to air
opinions about life and big-tech? I'll crowdfund the move there :).

Just a suggestion from someone who hasn't derived a single benefit
from this long-running conversation on privacy.

--
Brian.