Re: Social-media antipathy (was Re: How i can optimize my operating system?)

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 09:24:50AM +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> Exactly. "Hey, won't *everybody* switch to using <something else> for
> our communication, photo sharing, event coordination, etc.? Why? Because
> I'm (the only one in the group) worried about my privacy on Facebook."
>
> Besides the social part of asking *everybody* *else* to switch I'm also
> not aware of a viable <something else>.

I offer: mail, phone, and (in non-pandemic times) show up. For the
latter there is some enticement: I'm not totally bad at cooking :-)

(yeah, you see I'm adopting methods from the ad industry myself).

>                              Fortunately most of the
> conversations have been moving to WhatsApp (where they are supposed to
> be encrypted, at least).

Yeah, right. Encrypted. End-to-end. One of those ends is Facebook, though.
Ouch.

Cheers
 - t