Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 07:48:14AM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 10:24:25AM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > And oh, please: drop those whitespaces off file and directory names. This
> > makes teaching shell scripting to newbies a really #@%*&$¡~ chore. Unless
> > you want newbies to not learn scripting [1].
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > [1] The generic "you". You (this time the personal) are the last person
> >    I would suspect of this!
>
> On the other hand, newbies who fail to learn proper shell scripting
> practices go on to write terrible, horrible, bug-ridden shell scripts
> that get installed on your[1] computer, and then break.

You're right, and then...

I wasn't proposing to ignore the problems with those whitespaces.
Rather to just push the steep part of the ramp a bit further down
the learning path.

I still do one-off scripts without getting every nook and cranny
of quoting right. When I rework scripts for possible consumption
by others, I put much more attention in it.

> The notion that "all filenames are alphanumeric plus dots, and maybe
> dashes or underscores if you're a rebel" leads to scripts that break
> when given the more typical messy filenames that one encounters in
> real life.  Sure, it's easy to write those scripts, but they're not
> correct.  They're ticking bombs.

Definitely. And pages like yours do an invaluable job in helping
people to refine those skills.

But I insist: taking everything into account when starting shell
programming can build up to be an insurmountable wall. Perhaps
I'm wrong, though.

Cheers
 - t