Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 07:03:00PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:

[...]

> Well, if all you want is to be able to have more "newbie-friendly"
> descriptive names of the directories, it might be possible to achieve
> something like that by the simple addition of a collection of symlinks;
> just symlink e.g. "/Configuration" to '/etc', '/Programs' to '/bin',
> "/System Programs" to '/sbin', '/User Files' to '/home', et cetera.

To whomever tries that approach, my advice would be to have a long look
at all the botches common destop environments managed to do while trying
to internationalise directories beneath a user's home.

I mean: those things like "Desktop", which, if you do a German installation
are "Schreibtisch". And those aren't "standard Unix" directories, that means
that little software knows them, ergo they had the chance to start off a
relatively clean slate.

And oh, please: drop those whitespaces off file and directory names. This
makes teaching shell scripting to newbies a really #@%*&$¡~ chore. Unless
you want newbies to not learn scripting [1].

Cheers

[1] The generic "you". You (this time the personal) are the last person
   I would suspect of this!

 - t