Re: Is there an alternative filesystem hierarchy that could be adapted to Debian.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 02:01:29PM -0400, Cmdte Alpha Tigre Z wrote:
> > I think all these shortened names derive from a time when computing
> > resources were limited. If you're using an 80x25 terminal over at 50
> > bits per second to a time-shared mainframe, it's more comfortable to
> > type "/usr" than it is to type "/Programs". Easier to type "cp" than to
> > type "copy", and so on. It's all fairly arbitrary. Why C:\? Why not
> > System:\? Convention and history and inertia.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usr
> > >
> > >  - t
>
> But why do we have to use a system designed for such old computers
> when the now old computers are much more capable than that.

You are still using the (human) language(s) you learnt when you
were a kid. Granted, that language(s) evolved a bit in the meantime,
but not so quicly as to prevent them from doing their job: allow
communication between humans.

A file system layout (like a kernel call interface, or a hardware
architecture design) fulfill a similar role: since there's no
way (well, nearly no way) one could build such complex things all
alone -- on the contrary, you need a pretty big community, to
achieve that [1], you need a set of conventions and rituals to
gather around. Once the communities grow large, those conventions
move more slowly.

In a nutshell:

Complex system development (be it buildings, math or software)
is an inherently social activity, and need common languages, which
tend to evolve, but according to a "time constant" in the order
of a human life.

> I think it needs a redesign.

Go ahead. Perhaps you want to read first about strange beasts
which roamed the earth before the idea of a hierarchical file
system established itself, e.g. [2].

> By the way, C:\ looks fine since it is just a letter succession mechanism
> for labeling storage devices: C, D, E... it is like: usb0, usb1, usb2...

To me it looks weird, but hey. Putting everything in one tree
and having special places (/dev, /proc...) for special things.

And, oh, on my box it isn't just "usb0" without any context, but
something like "/dev/bus/usb/001/001" (or then, perhaps, also
"/dev/sdb", depending on how many layers of software you put in
front of it ;-)

Only "eth0" is special and weird. Who said our systems have no
warts? Look at Plan9 [3] to see what other smart folks have
attempted to do (heck, there, even GUI windows have a place
in the file system. You "rm" that file, and pop goes the window).

Enjoy

[1] Have a look at Linux kernel development statistics to get
   a feeling about the orders of magnitude involved, e.g. in
   https://lwn.net/Articles/834085/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MVS#MVS_filesystem
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Bell_Labs

 - t