Re: [OT] Helpful attitude

John Hasler, on 2019-08-09:
> The Wanderer writes:
> > Profanity deals with matters religious.
>
> Originally, yes.  The definitions of all three words have been broadened
> in common use so as to make them synonyms to most people.

That is without mentioning translations.  The idea carried by
the word "profanity" according to the sense here over does not
seem to have a matching translation in my mother tongue.  On one
hand "profane words" seems pretty weak, and "blasphemy" on the
other hand seems a wee bit too strong.

The encyclopedia seem to document this sense to be older and
literal, so I guess the more general sense is in common use:

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profanity

> Étienne writes:
> > Interesting!  If agreement there is on this definition, then this
> > would explain the point about illegality on radio waves in various
> > countries.
>
> Yes.  In the USA profanity (in the original sense) is not illegal on
> radio because of the establishment of religion clause.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

Somehow, it is kind of reassuring to read that:

	“The FCC regulations regarding "fleeting" use of
	 expletives were ruled unconstitutionally vague by a
	 three-judge panel of the U.S. 2nd Circuit Court of
	 Appeals in New York on July 13, 2010, as they violated
	 the First Amendment due to their possible effects
	 regarding free speech.”

Kind regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
               5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54 2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d