Re: Helpful attitude (was: Server hardware advice.)

Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Kenneth Parker (2019-08-08 12:39:35)
> > On Thu, Aug 8, 2019, 4:50 AM Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:
> >
> > > deloptes (12019-08-08):
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > I have observed that contributors on this mailing-list have a
> > > tendency to fall in two categories:
> > >
> > > - those who try to understand what the original poster says in order
> > >   to reply in the most helpful manner ;
> > >
> > > - those who try to understand what the original poster says in order
> > >   to find imprecisions and then forcefully educate them.
> >

> > I get forcefully educated quite a bit, by being on this email list.
> >
> > But, in my opinion, Servers can look like, just about anything.
>
> I think you are missing the point: When someone asks a question on this
> list, then that someone gets to decide what the question is.

Sure. But they also bear the burden of communicating precisely
what it is that they are asking for, and accepting that some
advice is even valuable!

> Question was not "please advice on buying what you consider a server"
> but "please advice on buying what original poster considers a server".

A bit of elucidation was in order, since to many people "server hardware"
means "suitable for use in a datacenter: rackmountable, space-efficient,
high-powered, hotswap drives..."  whereas a Raspberry Pi is also a server
when you treat it as one.

Asking clarifying questions is a good thing.

-dsr-