Re: Helpful attitude (was: Server hardware advice.)

Quoting deloptes (2019-08-08 17:13:03)
> Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Reading the whole initial post (not only first half) is good too ;-)
>
> But please, I tried to make the statement more precise, cause the
> first half contradicts the second. Of course you could use any
> hardware that runs linux as a server, but putting those demands
> together, seems the guy is looking in the wrong direction. If you put
> together miserable hardware, you get miserable results. And you can
> not call this a server. You can use it _as_ a server - I was missing
> "as". Perhaps I was too picky, but no one knows what OPs state of
> knowledge and experience is.

Let's for the sake of discussion assume that the initial post was
totally incomprehensible to you.  You then asked for clarification -
makes good sense.  And asking in the style of "When I read server
hardware I understand..." makes good sense as well.

...but then the OP responded and explicitly clarifies to you what
his understanding of "server hardware" is, it no longer makes sense to

...but when the OP responds with "I would say a server is any piece of
software or hardware that serves data to other devices" you got your
clarification!

>From that point on it no longer makes sense to insist - in same thread -
on a different interpretation: Topic is a request for help, and you are
frankly not helping with what was asked.

You might theoretically be helping millions of others reading along who
appreciate your continued inout about a derived subject - but it is more
sensible to me, and more visible to those who want that help, if you
change the subject line to match your derived topic.

> And in general in one discussion everybody can put forward any
> statement or question. No one is forced to answer.

Anyone can do anything.  Not all is sensible, however.

Possibly taking the time to write this email is not sensible - time will
tell...

 - Jonas