Re: Upgrading with a low data cap

On 10/09/2018 04:57 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
On 10/08/2018 06:23 PM, David wrote:
On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 at 06:25, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

I have no LAN.

I've a low cap.

Using the word "cap" suggests that you have an internet service provider.

True

How do you connect to that service provider?

The same way as for decades via a "modem" (quotation marks significant).
That was not how my ISP describes it. T-mobile sells it as a WiFi
Hotspot which is served by the cell network [the WiFi is turned off].
When my former ISP discontinued dial-up service I chose not to use a
connection that physically restricted me to a physical point of service.

You have the capacity for a LAN - you'll just need to turn your
USB-tethered machine into a router.  Although, perhaps that is work you
don't want to bother doing.

LAN generally requires Ethernet. My second most used machine does not have a physically available Ethernet port.

The WiFi capabilities of the device would also allow you to have a LAN.
But if you have reasons for turning it off beyond "I don't need no
WiFi", then I suppose turning it on would be detrimental.

The above mentioned second most used machine also has no WiFi. That's why I had once investigated a USB-USB connection.