Re: Problem updating to Buster - gparted effectively MIA

On 10/08/2018 10:45 AM, Reco wrote:
	Hi.

On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 08:46:21AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
[snip]
It seemed to run OK. The only errors/warnings were related to not being able to reach [http://deb.debian.org/...].

It reported:
    "259 packages can be upgraded."
and
    "210 upgraded, 201 newly installed, 0 to remove and 49 not upgraded."

What, if anything, does that say about my upgrade from Stretch to Buster?

It was not completed, but it's fixable.

I stated by running "script", so I have a log.

1) First things first.

Install 'screen' utility into stretch.
run 'screen' and do everything else there.
In case of any trouble (such as network connectivity loss), reestablish
your connection and run 'screen -DR'.

I use a USB connected T-Mobile WiFi Hotspot [WiFi turned off] to access the web through the cell network.
A chroot evidently could not connect to it.

As the partition had had a functional Stretch install.
My original attempt to upgrade to Buster had at least partially worked.
I booted into that partition and did the upgrade.
It upgraded and it is now running without any apparent problems.

If it gives problems I'll just wait for the final release.
One major reason I use Debian rather than another release is desire to avoid hassles of a rolling release. YMMV ;/

Thank you for your assistance.