Re: Upgrading with a low data cap

On 10/08/2018 09:30 PM, Kenneth Parker wrote:
Hello Richard.  I honor the help you have given to other users on this List.  Good work!

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 9:49 PM Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net <mailto:rowlett@cloud85.net>> wrote:

    On 10/08/2018 06:23 PM, David wrote:
     > On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 at 06:25, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net
    <mailto:rowlett@cloud85.net>> wrote:

     >> I have no LAN.
     >>
     >> I've a low cap.
     >
     > Using the word "cap" suggests that you have an internet service
    provider.

    True

     > How do you connect to that service provider?

    The same way as for decades via a "modem" (quotation marks significant).
    That was not how my ISP describes it. T-mobile sells it as a WiFi
    Hotspot which is served by the cell network [the WiFi is turned off].

T-Mobile is the company I use for my Cell Service.  When my area of Carrboro, NC received spotty T-Mobile Reception, they "provided me", with no cost, a two-piece Gadget, to enhance Cell Service in my area. (Of course, my Broadband situation is different, as I have Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable).  I actually have a reasonable relationship with T-Mobile Support.

When I bought my first Hotspot (which died), T-Mobile was the only cell provider who would actually listen to my needs. The other !$^%!$^$%*I( wanted to shove a so-called "smart phone" down my throat. I find such *UNUSABLE* for web access due to vision problems. T-Mobile after sale support has been excellent.

Are you using a "Tether-like" scenario, called a "Mobile Hotspot" for your Internet access?  (I do this when I travel).

Yes.

    When my former ISP discontinued dial-up service I chose not to use a
    connection that physically restricted me to a physical point of service.

     > What is the make and model of the equipment that provides the
    connection
     > to that service provider?

    The manufacturer is Alcatel. No model number is visible.

Wow!  Not even fine print?

Not on the device. The carton is long gone.

     > How do you connect your computer to that equipment?

    USB port.

Actual Tethering?

     > How many ethernet ports, if any, does that equipment have?

    None.

Wow!

A typical LAN requires Ethernet. The machine that would be central to any possible LAN usage *DOES NOT* have a _physically_ accesible Ethernet port - which was what prompted me to once investigate USB-USB communication.

Anyway, I feel your pain, as one who has tried to access Networks in rural areas.

If you define rural as where chickens, hogs, OR cattle within an hour's drive outnumber humans, them I'm rural. But local C of C would prefer mention that I'm the 3rd largest city in Missouri. I did not want the physical constraints of cable or satellite.

How is your Home Phone Service?

Technically adequate.

Thank you and best regards,

Kenneth Parker