Re: Upgrading with a low data cap

On Tuesday 09 October 2018 10:53:30 Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 10/09/2018 04:57 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
> > Richard Owlett wrote:

> >> True

> >> The same way as for decades via a "modem" (quotation marks
> >> significant). That was not how my ISP describes it. T-mobile sells
> >> it as a WiFi Hotspot which is served by the cell network [the WiFi
> >> is turned off]. When my former ISP discontinued dial-up service I
> >> chose not to use a connection that physically restricted me to a
> >> physical point of service.
> >
> > You have the capacity for a LAN - you'll just need to turn your
> > USB-tethered machine into a router.  Although, perhaps that is work
> > you don't want to bother doing.
>
> LAN generally requires Ethernet. My second most used machine does not
> have a physically available Ethernet port.
>
> > The WiFi capabilities of the device would also allow you to have a
> > LAN. But if you have reasons for turning it off beyond "I don't need
> > no WiFi", then I suppose turning it on would be detrimental.
>
> The above mentioned second most used machine also has no WiFi. That's
> why I had once investigated a USB-USB connection.

Its probably been pointed out that usb was originally designed as a
client/server setup, and adding the stuff to make it peer to peer has
had rather spotty success. Wireless keyboards and mice are one of the
better success scenes. That could explain why its hardware fussy to make
it work. usb-3 is much better in that regard, but isn't yet  universally
available. Linux drivers for armhf/arm64 seem to have a less than usb-3
spec speed.

I have no x86 / amd64 machines with usb-3, so I can't testify for those.
Some discussion about newer hardware and usb-3 might be in order and
educational for the list, hint hint.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)