Re: Upgrading with a low data cap

On 10/07/2018 08:25 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Sun 07 Oct 2018 at 09:01:43 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
On 10/07/2018 08:45 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
[...]
Is it possible to use the cached data on another machine?
What should I be reading?
TIA

I think so, but it may be more manual than you'd otherwise do.

NOT a problem.
I've lots of time. Data cap is the constraint. My routine since
Squeeze had been install from complete DVD sets - was on 56k dial-up
at the time and the habit stuck.

Perhaps you should look into apt-cache-ng (IIRC) or squid to facilitate
automatic caching.

That would handle future problems. I'll read up on them to see if it
gives hints for current situation.

To use apt-cache-ng, you need a running system accessible over the
network that you're installing through.

I was under the impression that your networking consisted of
point-to-point links via machines' USB ports.

That effort is on hold [almost abandoned]. It's goal was primarily educational not something for routine use.

Can you simultaneously
connect the machine being installed to both the internet and the
system running apt-cache-ng (and using http:)?

I haven't yet read the documentation for apt-cache-ng and don't know if it would match my mental image. I was assuming that that all the packages that I downloaded/upgraded were still in a cache which could be transferred to the target machine via a flash drive. The machines are adjacent. My current priority is verifying my Buster system is properly setup.

Cheers,
David.