Re: non-free firmware not found despite unofficial CD

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 08:04:28PM +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Michael Stone wrote:

USB ethernet would not be affected, but will
also be slower/more cpu-intensive than
internal PCI/PCIe ethernet. If you're happy
with how the USB ethernet is working, then
just stick with it.

I'm not happy with it, or rather the guy who is
supposed to have the computer has an
Ethernet cable.

So you are saying, it is likely
"cable Ethernet" doesn't work because of the
DMI being outdated, and "USB Ethernet" works
because it has nothing to do with the DMI?

The thread got too long, so I'd forgotten what you'd meant by USB-ethernet. So yes, the thing you're doing works because it's not using the internet ethernet that has the firmware issue. I first thought you mean something like this http://www.cablematters.com/pc-447-101-cable-matters-superspeed-usb-30-to-rj45-gigabit-ethernet-adapter.aspx which should also work fine and act as a normal ethernet adapter you can just plug into your network, if you don't want to mess with updating the firmware on the system to try to get the internal ethernet working.

Mike Stone